Something I found when I was clearing out my mailbox
I've been meaning to come back here for a long time, to say that the "Mixed Online" class is actually running - after a pretty bumpy beginning. It's great and I've been totally immersed in it. My thanks to Nancy McKeand for her encouragement. When I was hanging in suspense to see if the course would run, I looked back here and found that she'd actually read what I had written about it and was rooting for me. What a great feeling that was!
Now here I am again - and what I'd intended to do next is write a few words about the Culture Project we (the class) just did with Buthaina Al Othman. Never mind! I'll come back soon to do it. In the meantime, I want to post this message I sent to Bee Dieu during the EVOnline sessions last January. As the title of this post suggests, I just found it while I was going through old messages in my mailbox. (I won't tell you how many I have there that still haven't been read - all left over from those amazing sessions!).
Here's what I wrote:
Dear Bee,
I'm writing you through the group mail because I want to add my voice to those who have already expressed their appreciation for your wonderful and very informative presentation on Sunday. I fell in love with blogs and the whole idea of blogging with students from the moment I saw your and some of the other webheads' blogs. Thanks to you, I've taken the plunge and set up blogs with my students this term. It's been such a great experience - we're all learning as we go, but I feel confident because I knew I'd be taking these sessions and you'd help.
The word (about what I'm doing) has gone around at work and I was asked to do a presentation about blogging with ESL students at our faculty meeting today. I had done some preparation before your presentation, but after listening to you pull it all together and present so many ideas on Sunday, I was really fired up. The presentation went well - it was just simple stuff - but I included a link to your blog (The English Department) and some of the resources you've made available through the EV Online blogging course, and now without any doubt, more seeds have been planted. I don't know how many people you have set on this road, but I'm willing to bet it's hundreds by now.
It's great work you are doing, and I thank you.
All the best,
Wendy
Blogs and Webheads really were the beginning of all this for me. We're using blogs again in this blended class. Have a look if you want: http://advancedesl.blogspot.com . A few of the students have really latched onto the idea, and are doing a great job. Others are still struggling. In most cases, it's not the blog that's the problem - it's trying to work full time, support their family, and study full time. Not easy.

2 Comments:
It's amazing to think of how far we have come since January, isn't it?
I love the community that blogging creates. We look out for each other. We care about each other. We support each other. It's the way things should be but so seldom are.
Hey Wendy,
Thanks for re-publishing the thank you mail to me in your blog. It makes the heart grow warm again and encourages me to continue on my path as now I have more people walking on it with me.
Great to see you back! And Nancy...you are much much faster than me...wherever I go, you've been there before me :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home